Ingredients4 h 57 m servings 482
- Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt, and pepper together in a bowl and pour into a resealable plastic bag or container. Add chicken, coat with the paste and seal bag or container. Marinate in the refrigerator, 4 hours to overnight.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade. Add chicken thighs skin-side down to stockpot and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip chicken thighs and cook until browned on second side, about 3 minutes more.
- Lower heat to medium and add water to cover chicken halfway, cover stockpot, and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover stockpot, sprinkle saffron threads onto chicken, and top with preserved lemon slices. Replace cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink at the bone and juices run clear, about 5 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Uncover stockpot and transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- Continue simmering liquid in stockpot until thickened to sauce consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken; top with olives, artichokes, and parsley.
- Cook's Note:
- Ground cumin can be substituted for the cumin seed, if needed.
- Cooking liquid can be served immediately after chicken is cooked: no need to reduce sauce if a thinner consistency is desired. Sauce can be served over the chicken or on the side.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 482 calories; 38.2 7.2 27.5 96 1787 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Absolutely delicious. I would recommend this to everyone who wants a relaxing meal. Prepare everything the night before, put it together the following morning, in the pot, cook long and slow, ...
My first foray into Moroccan cuisine. I cooked it in a tagine and it turned out beautifully. I used my homemade preserved lemons as well. The mix of flavors from the olives, artichokes and le...
This was delicious! I make a few changes, however. I used the zest of 1 lemon and placed fresh lemon slices on the chicken because I could not find preserved lemon. I also used boneless skinle...
This is a fragrant dish that I cooked in my tagine at 190°C. I didn't have any artichokes so I used bell peppers. The olives are a great addition. Thank you for the recipe.
Yummy! This was fantastic! Whole family loved it. Kids aren’t fond of olives but tried them & still loved it! Served with basmati rice (cause that’s what I had) and green beans. My husband ...