Slow-Cooked Red Braised Pork Belly
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 37 m servings 680
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add pork belly; cook until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat vegetable oil and brown sugar in a wok or large skillet over medium heat until sugar is melted. Add pork; cook until browned on all sides, about 2 minutes. Add dark soy sauce; cook and stir until flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer pork mixture to a slow cooker. Add rice wine, light soy sauce, scallions, ginger, and star anise. Pour in enough water to just cover the pork.
- Cook on Low until pork is tender, about 6 hours. Add diced chicken substitute, hard-boiled eggs, and more water to cover.
- Cook on Low until eggs absorb cooking liquid, rotating halfway through, about 1 hour more.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use crystal sugar instead of brown sugar if you have it.
- Substitute dry sherry for the rice wine if desired. Substitute chicken stock for the water if desired.
- Substitute tofu puffs or tofu knots for the vegetarian chicken if preferred.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup
Per Serving: 680 calories; 48.8 16.2 38.3 380 3036 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1