Ancient Honey Cakes (Rice Flour Cookies with Nuts or Poppy Seeds)
Ingredients35 m servings 148 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Beat butter and honey together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy; add eggs and mix well. Mix rice flour, baking powder, and cardamom into creamed butter mixture until dough is just mixed. Roll dough into small balls, about 1 heaping teaspoon each.
- Pour hemp seeds into a bowl and press each dough ball into the seeds, coating half of each ball. Transfer dough balls to the baking sheet, gently pressing to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden, about 20 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Coconut oil can be used in place of butter, if desired. Egyptian barley flour can be used in place of rice flour. Crushed almonds or poppy seeds can be used in place of hemp seeds.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 148 calories; 6.1 g fat; 22 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 34 mg cholesterol; 51 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
A nice treat to go with your tea, because these are very dry. But they are also very light and not too sweet, just delicate in both flavour and texture. Reading all the possible adaptations in t...
I had to add an additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup rice flour to the recipe. I also baked for only 7-8 minutes in my convection oven.