Ingredients42 m servings 242 cals
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl until light and frothy; stir in milk. Stir in cornmeal and salt. Add oil; stir until batter is smooth.
- Place shortening in a 10-inch cast iron skillet; heat skillet in the preheated oven until shortening is liquefied, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet and pour in batter.
- Return skillet to oven and bake until corn bread is lightly browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven immediately and cover with wooden cutting board. Use oven mitts to invert skillet and tip corn bread onto cutting board. Cut into 8 wedges.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you're not using self-rising cornmeal, add about 1 teaspoon baking powder to your recipe.
- For true Southern taste, fry up some bacon in your skillet beforehand and use it instead of the shortening.
- Do not leave corn bread in skillet after baking, or you will have a crumbly, broken mess on your hands.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 242 calories; 11.8 g fat; 29 g carbohydrates; 6.2 g protein; 50 mg cholesterol; 657 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I love cornbread made with all cornmeal and no flour. So this recipe really appealed to me. Since it's just my husband and I, I cut the recipe in half and made it in my smaller cast iron pan. I ...
This is by far the worst corn bread I have ever had. Very dry.
I made no changes and it was just like what Grandma made. The cured cast iron skillet is the way to go. Wonderful crispy bottom.