Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 6 m servings 538 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 chicken breasts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat; stir in onion. Cook and stir until the onion is softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Lower heat and add bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic; cook and stir until soft, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Mix oregano, basil, paprika, black pepper, and salt together in a bowl. Stir 1/2 of the herb mixture into vegetable mixture. Stir black beans and rice into vegetable mixture. Arrange chicken breasts over beans and rice mixture, sprinkle remaining herb mixture on top. Pour in tomatoes and 1 cup water. Cover skillet with aluminum foil.
- Bake until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, adding more water as needed to keep mixture moist, about 25 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and cook until rice is soft, adding more water as needed to keep mixture moist, 10 to 15 minutes more. Remove skillet from oven and set aside to cool slightly, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can transfer mixture to a baking dish before placing in the oven.
- This recipe will work for up to 6 chicken breasts, if desired.
Per Serving: 538 calories; 10.9 g fat; 72.7 g carbohydrates; 38.3 g protein; 67 mg cholesterol; 825 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This recipe was a flop. The rice never cooked. We ended up pulling the chicken out of the rice/bean mix and eating it alone. The chicken was moist, juicy and flavorful. I think the problem was ...