Puerto Rican Canned Corned Beef Stew
Ingredients35 m servings 354
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add potato and cook uncovered until slightly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add drained potatoes, corn, sofrito, and garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, oregano, and bay leaf; cook and stir until flavors combine, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low; stir in corned beef. Cook until heated through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute canola oil for the olive if preferred.
- Feel free to substitute ingredients for your favorites, like mixed vegetables for the corn maybe. Instead of cubed potatoes, you can fry French fries and add them at the end.
- It's easiest to buy sofrito at a grocery store in the frozen or Hispanic foods section. To make a batch at home, use a food processor or blender to blend together, in batches if necessary, 2 onions, ½ lb sweet peppers, ½ cup olive oil, 1 cubanelle (cuban pepper) or green bell pepper, ½ head peeled garlic, 2 tablespoons pimentos (roasted red peppers), 3 recao leaves (culantro), ¼ cup pimento-stuffed olives, ½ bunch cilantro, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 1 teaspoon capers (optional), and ½ teaspoon each salt and ground black pepper. If you don't have all the ingredients, don't sweat it; just use olive oil, onion, garlic, and peppers with whatever other ingredients you might have.
Per Serving: 354 calories; 21.1 15.3 26.1 72 1269 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Yours is Pretty Good! I am always looking for new ways to cook canned corned beef. I usually tweak it a bit by omitting the potatoes and corn and adding in fried sweet plantanos, 1/2 cup of...
Good base and tasty. I replaced the potato with sweet potato. Also served with corn frituras and omitted the corn from the stew.
Really quite nice. I didn't have sofrito but onions and garlic worked great suated together.
I was looking for this can corn beef recipe for some time , this recipe tasted just like moms. Loved it