Delicious Lentil Loaf
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 318
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water and lentils in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover saucepan, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix 1/3 cup water and ground flax seed together in a bowl; set aside until thickened, at least 10 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion, mushrooms, celery, and garlic until softened and liquid from mushrooms has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a loaf pan.
- Transfer cooked lentils to a food processor and pulse until about 75 percent of lentils are mashed. Mix onion-mushroom mixture, oats, flour, basil, black pepper, salt, and onion powder into lentils until well combined. Press lentil mixture into the prepared loaf pan.
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and barbeque sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat; cook and stir until glaze is smooth and brown sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Bake loaf in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Spread 1/4 cup glaze over lentil loaf; continue baking until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve lentil loaf with remaining glaze on the side.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute vegetable stock for the 2 1/2 cups water, if desired. Dried oregano can be used in place of the dried basil. Dehydrated onion can be used in place of the onion powder.
- Lentils can also be mashed using a fork instead of the food processor, if desired.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 318 calories; 7.5 51.3 13 0 643 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
First time trying this recipe. We put ground quinoa instead of white flower and the results were Amazing!!!! My husband and I, having never experienced a meat free "loaf" before were pleasantl...
My family really enjoyed this! Both my husband and son commented on how good it tasted. My son & his family are making it tomorrow again. I added about 1 cup of fresh chopped parsley. Thanks ...
It's amazing. I did not change the loaf recipe at all, except that I could not find brown lentils and used green with no issue
This was so good. although I did not ad carrots and I added lots of Worcestershire in the loaf and glaze, for the hubby he absolutely loved it!
I didn't have any mushrooms, so I used orange peppers instead and it was really good! Can't wait to try it with mushrooms next time.
I added a bit of water for consistency after I'd mixed everything together. I used dried sage and Italian spice mix instead of dried basil. Bake it covered for the first round. I put all the...
Followed the recipe as written except I added about 1/2 T Worcestershire sauce to glaze as others have recommended. It turned out great (if not a bit dense) according to my vegan daughter. Will ...
This was delicious. I don't eat mushrooms so I chopped up some carrots and green pepper instead and it was great. I had trouble getting it to firm up in the oven and I think I just needed to let...