Cream of Fennel Soup (Fennel Vichyssoise)
Ingredients48 m servings 282 cals
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add fennel; cook and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in leeks; cook until slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Add carrots and red bell pepper; simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream and anise-flavored liqueur. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute veal broth for the chicken broth if preferred.
- Substitute absinthe for the Pernod® if desired.
- You can puree the soup, in batches, in a food processor, instead of using an immersion blender.
Per Serving: 282 calories; 16.1 g fat; 30.8 g carbohydrates; 4.9 g protein; 56 mg cholesterol; 836 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Pretty much followed the recipe exactly, except for substituting onion for the scallions (didn’t have any), and adding a bit of a red jalapeño with the bell pepper. It was good, just not fantas...
I did make a few tweaks but made it pretty much by the recipe. It is very nice. Great consistency, subtle background and finishes well with finely chopped and sauteed fennel fronds. I will defin...