Cream of Fennel Soup (Fennel Vichyssoise)
Ingredients48 m servings 282
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add fennel; cook and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in leeks; cook until slightly softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Add carrots and red bell pepper; simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in heavy cream and anise-flavored liqueur. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute veal broth for the chicken broth if preferred.
- Substitute absinthe for the Pernod® if desired.
- You can puree the soup, in batches, in a food processor, instead of using an immersion blender.
Per Serving: 282 calories; 16.1 30.8 4.9 56 836 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Loved it - thanks for posting this recipe! We received a fennel bulb in our CSA this week and this recipe was the perfect fate for it. It was popular with both my kids, and went really well with...
Pretty much followed the recipe exactly, except for substituting onion for the scallions (didn’t have any), and adding a bit of a red jalapeño with the bell pepper. It was good, just not fantas...
I did make a few tweaks but made it pretty much by the recipe. It is very nice. Great consistency, subtle background and finishes well with finely chopped and sauteed fennel fronds. I will defin...