Simple Savory Oatmeal
Ingredients10 m servings 218
- Place water and oats in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook at 50% power, stirring half way through cooking, until oats are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in bacon bits and Creole seasoning until evenly distributed.
- Cook's Notes:
- There are many ways to go with this dish. Keeping it savory, I would keep a small amount of a fat and salt and pepper seasonings. You can substitute olive oil, bacon or sausage drippings, fish oil, or flavored oils for the butter; substitute spice-seasoned salt, garlic or onion salt, or a small amount of dry bouillon for the salt and pepper; use fake bacon bits, scrambled egg, tuna, ground sausage, or cubed ham in place of the bacon.
- Add green onion, minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, or dried green herbs such as an Italian blend, if desired.
- Cook oats according to your preference. I find cooking in the microwave for twice the recommended duration at half-power works well and avoids spill-over.
- This recipe is inspired by a savory oatmeal (with egg) included in the recent free SNAP cookbook, available online as a PDF.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 8.3 28 8.5 16 495 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Great idea! I had no bacon bits so I uses some frozen soy sausage that I chopped up instead; also added some cheddar cheese as well as the creole seasoning.
A nice change of pace from the usual sweet oatmeal. This reminds me of grits, just a different texture. I went easy on the seasoning (I used about 1/3 tsp) since I find it can be a little salty....
This is great! I've never found additions to oatmeal until now that I loved.
Holy crow, this is so good even without the bacon bits!! Will definitely make this again with the bacon next time, and perhaps some shredded cheese as well for a nice additional flavor boost.