Simple Savory Oatmeal
Ingredients10 m servings 218
- Place water and oats in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook at 50% power, stirring half way through cooking, until oats are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Stir in bacon bits and Creole seasoning until evenly distributed.
- Cook's Notes:
- There are many ways to go with this dish. Keeping it savory, I would keep a small amount of a fat and salt and pepper seasonings. You can substitute olive oil, bacon or sausage drippings, fish oil, or flavored oils for the butter; substitute spice-seasoned salt, garlic or onion salt, or a small amount of dry bouillon for the salt and pepper; use fake bacon bits, scrambled egg, tuna, ground sausage, or cubed ham in place of the bacon.
- Add green onion, minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, or dried green herbs such as an Italian blend, if desired.
- Cook oats according to your preference. I find cooking in the microwave for twice the recommended duration at half-power works well and avoids spill-over.
- This recipe is inspired by a savory oatmeal (with egg) included in the recent free SNAP cookbook, available online as a PDF.
Per Serving: 218 calories; 8.3 28 8.5 16 495 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
A nice change of pace from the usual sweet oatmeal. This reminds me of grits, just a different texture. I went easy on the seasoning (I used about 1/3 tsp) since I find it can be a little salty....
Great idea! I had no bacon bits so I uses some frozen soy sausage that I chopped up instead; also added some cheddar cheese as well as the creole seasoning.
Holy crow, this is so good even without the bacon bits!! Will definitely make this again with the bacon next time, and perhaps some shredded cheese as well for a nice additional flavor boost.