Chorizo Steamed Clams
Ingredients30 m servings 986
- Place large pot over medium heat; add olive oil. Stir in diced onion; cook and stir until onions begin to turn translucent, 3 or 4 minutes. Add chorizo; cook and stir to render some fat, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Pour in white wine.
- Raise heat to high and bring liquid to a boil. Immediately add clams and distribute evenly. Cover and cook until clams open, about 7 minutes. During this time you can occasionally shake the pot to "stir" the clams using potholders or a kitchen towel to hold the pot handles. It's best not to open the lid and stir.
- When clams have opened, remove pot from heat. Stir in butter and parsley; allow butter to melt. Serve clams in heated bowls with lots of the liquid.
- Cook's Note:
- You can really adapt this kind of thing to your tastes. Cilantro instead of parsley, leeks instead of onions, and mussels instead of clams, just to name a few. Just make sure you have plenty of grilled, or toasted bread around to soak up the glorious broth.
- The recipe yields enough cooked clams to serve 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main dish.
Per Serving: 986 calories; 37.2 29.4 94.3 292 853 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Great and very easy. I'm going to try to add a little spice next time.
I made it! But yes I tweaked the recipe a bit, I used fresh mussels instead of clams, I added a quarter cup of diced carrots with the onion and a can of diced tomatoes with the garlic... DELICIO...
It was delicious. I made it with mussels and will be making it many more times. Good chorizo makes everything taste better!!
Chef John recipes continue to be my ‘go to’ when wanting to impress.
AH-MAZIING and ohhh, so easy!! My local grocery store didn’t have any clams so I used mussels instead. I also added a bit of chopped celery, a touch of cilantro and Worcheshire sauce. And salt. ...
This turned out to be outstanding. I did not have any Chorizo so I used Andouille sausage instead and it came out better than any clam dish I ever had. I added no salt to this dish.