Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 1 h 35 m servings 320
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Sort and clean chickpeas and wash them under cold water; drain. Combine chickpeas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; add 1 quart water. Soak chickpeas for 24 hours; drain.
- Combine onion, garlic, and ginger in a blender; add 3 tablespoons water. Blend mixture at high speed until a smooth paste forms.
- Heat vegetable oil in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida; cook and stir until asafoetida expands and cumin seeds darken, about 1 minute. Stir onion paste into cumin mixture, taking great care to avoid splattering. Cook and stir mixture until well mixed and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Stir chickpeas, potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne pepper into onion-cumin mixture; add 2 cups water. Bring liquid to a boil and cover pot; reduce heat and gently simmer for 1 hour. Stir tamarind paste into chickpea mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes more.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of soaking water with salt and baking soda. The actual amount consumed will vary.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 320 calories; 9.2 52.2 9.8 0 714 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1