Basic Cream of Wheat
"I am excited to share with you guys our cream of wheat recipe! I grew up eating cream of wheat from the box with brown sugar. It was easy and fast for the busy mornings on the go and it was more nutritious than other cereals. Cream of wheat nutrition, when you make it yourself, is easy to calculate and you know there are no artificial flavors or preservatives. It is a clean and simple breakfast. I wondered how hard it would be to make cream of wheat from scratch utilizing our whole grains. It turns out it is very simple! Top with brown sugar and fruit, if desired."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 182
Original recipe yields 10 servings (4 1/2 cups)
- Bring cold water to a boil in a saucepan; add wheat berries. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover saucepan, and simmer until wheat berries are tender yet firm to the bite, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine wheat berries and almond milk in a large saucepan over medium; heat just until about to boil, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender, working in batches if needed. Blend mixture on high until creamy, adding more milk to reach desired consistency, about 30 seconds.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute the almond milk with soy, skim, whole, or any other variety.
- Wheat berries can be cooked ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in a resealable bag or container.
- For smaller batches, simmer 1 cup cooked wheat berries with 2 cups milk to create 3 cups cream of wheat. Blend in blender until smooth.
Per Serving: 182 calories; 2.8 36 5.2 0 134 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1