Super Deluxe Steak Nachos
Ingredients1 h 55 m servings 434
- Season both sides of steak with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steak, turning occasionally, to medium doneness, about 6 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 135 to 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Transfer meat to a bowl to let it rest.
- Pour a splash of water into the skillet; stir to scrape up browned bits and deglaze the pan. Pour this liquid over meat. Allow meat to cool completely.
- When meat is completely cool slice thickly (about 1/2 inch) with the grain, then cut into thinner strips. Dice by cutting into pieces against the grain. Transfer chopped steak back to the bowl; toss with the pan drippings.
- Melt bacon fat over medium heat in a pot. Add onions and a pinch of the salt; cook and stir until softened, 5 or 6 minutes. Stir in oregano. Add pinto beans and water. Bring back to a simmer and cook until onions are soft and sweet, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher to your desired consistency. Add additional liquid, if necessary, to achieve your preferred texture. Add the remaining salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place tortilla chips about 2 or 3 deep in a heat proof pan. (You may need more than one pan.) Top chips with spoonfuls of beans and a generous handful of steak pieces. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted and edges start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Scatter diced ripe avocado, diced onions, diced tomatoes, and diced jalapenos over the top. Drizzle nachos with sour cream and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Cook's Note:
- For best flavor, toss the diced avocado with a bit of lemon juice and salt before adding.
- Broiling Option: When you assemble the nachos, if the beans are still hot and the steak isn't too cold, you can broil the nachos until cheese is melted and edges are brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 434 calories; 28.6 25.8 20 59 774 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
Wow -was super good! used black beans, sprinkled with lime juice, marinated steak in fijita sauce, mixed chipotle with ranch dressing for topping, fresh cilantro and cheeses of your choice. ...
A bit of a pain to make but THESE ARE GOOD. As my nickname goes I rarely give a 5 star (it is the BEST after all) but these nachos really are very good.
I followed the recipe, but also added shredded lettuce :-) Salad:-)).. Was Yummy!!!
These are fantastic nachos - better than anything I've ever had in a restaurant, certainly. I substituted the refried beans with some pre-prepared, homemade ones from a local Mexican tacqueria ...
We absolutely LOVE these nachos. The chipotle seasoning is crucial.