Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 31 m servings 619
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 6-ounce ramekins)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Combine heavy cream, vanilla bean, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until surface of cream begins to shimmer, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and take out vanilla bean.
- Whisk egg yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar, and cocoa together in a large bowl until well-blended. Pour hot cream over egg mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly, until all cream is incorporated and custard is smooth. Strain custard into a large glass measuring cup.
- Arrange eight 6-ounce ramekins in a roasting pan. Pour custard into ramekins. Pour enough warm water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover pan loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until custard is firm around the edges, but still wobbly in the center, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Cover ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 3 hours.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Remove ramekins from refrigerator and blot any liquid on the surface with a paper towel. Arrange ramekins on a baking sheet. Top each custard with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, spreading evenly to the edges.
- Broil in the preheated oven until sugar is melted and crisp, 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Cool briefly, about 5 minutes, before serving.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use a salamander or blowtorch instead of a broiler to caramelize the brown sugar in step 9.
- Serve creme brulees after step 9, or refrigerate and serve up to 4 hours later. They can also be prepared up to 2 days ahead.
Per Serving: 619 calories; 49.2 43.9 6.1 368 131 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This was delicious!! The custard was so rich and luscious and the burned sugar on top was just what was needed to cut through the richness. I will definitely make this again!