Jota (Bean and Sauerkraut Soup)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 29 m servings 378 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings (6 cups)
- Place the cranberry beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight.
- Bring cranberry beans, pork, water, garlic, bay leaves, and salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Cover and simmer until beans are just tender, about 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and keep covered.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour until dissolved, about 10 seconds. Scrape flour mixture into soup.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cornmeal; cook and stir until well-combined, about 2 minutes more. Scrape onion mixture into soup. Return soup to simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans have softened and flavors have combined, about 40 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook and stir until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in sauerkraut, cook and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes more. Stir sauerkraut mixture into soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors combine, about 15 minutes more. Garnish with parsley.
- Cook's Note:
- Any lean cut of pork can be used for this recipe.
Per Serving: 378 calories; 18.5 g fat; 36.2 g carbohydrates; 17.8 g protein; 20 mg cholesterol; 503 mg sodium. Full nutrition