Ingredients1 h 22 m servings 527
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a baking dish with 2 teaspoons butter.
- Core and cut cauliflower into large florets. Cut broccoli into large florets; peel and quarter broccoli stalks.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil; add cauliflower and boil until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to strainer using a slotted spoon; run under cold water to stop cooking. Add broccoli stalks to stockpot and boil 3 minutes; add broccoli florets to stockpot and boil until stalks and florets are tender but still firm, about 5 minutes more. Transfer broccoli to strainer and run under cold water to stop cooking. Dry cauliflower and broccoli with paper towels and place in prepared baking dish.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour to form a thick paste. Continue whisking constantly until flour begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove sauce from heat; whisk in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper. Whisk in Cheddar cheese until melted and fully incorporated. Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and broccoli. Rap baking dish on counter a few times to remove air bubbles.
- Mix bread crumbs and olive oil together in a small bowl. Top vegetable and sauce mixture with bread crumb mixture. Sprinkle paprika over bread crumb mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- This recipe works great with older cheese.
- If you like your sauce spicy, you can add a bit of cayenne with the black pepper and mustard.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 527 calories; 35 35.5 20.9 79 657 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I made this for a work potluck and people liked it alot. I prepared everything the night before but didn't cook it until the next day. Took it out of the fridge about an hour before I started c...
Good recipe but I found that the amount of ingredients made more than what fit in the aluminum foil tray I used. Recipe made a tray and a half. Should really add what size baking tray this recip...
I made this as written but found the sauce was a little flat and added some salt. I also put some salt in the water when I cooked the vegetables. Was a hit at the pot luck dinner i took it to.
Skipped breadcrumbs and added cooked pasta instead to make it a complete vegetarian meal. Kids loved it!
Delicious way to get your veggies. I adapted by using less cauliflower and adjusted the other ingredients accordingly. I also added a dash of Dijon mustard with gave it a nice zing.