Northern Italian Cauliflower Gratin
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 255
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until crisp tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in flour until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in milk and cream. Increase heat to medium and simmer, whisking frequently, until sauce starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Bring to a boil; continue to cook until sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Stir Parmesan cheese, fontina cheese, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper into sauce. Cook, whisking vigorously, until cheese is melted into the sauce, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. Arrange cauliflower on top. Drizzle remaining sauce over the cauliflower, coating each floret.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling and lightly browned on top, about 10 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute Asiago cheese for the fontina if desired.
- While this makes 8 normal servings, my family of 5 gobbles this up as a large portion of their meal.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 255 calories; 19.2 13 9.4 67 301 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1