Red Velvet Cake with Beets
Ingredients1 h servings 386
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Whisk sugar, buttermilk, beets, oil, eggs, cocoa powder, red food coloring, vanilla extract, vinegar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Add flour mixture gradually to the bowl, stirring after each addition just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap pan firmly to settle the batter and remove large bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Where I live I use "gasificante", which is 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon malic and tartaric acid instead of using baking powder.
- Avoid over-mixing the cake batter in step 3 as much as possible.
Per Serving: 386 calories; 12.8 62.5 6.4 38 510 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
loved it been looking for a way to do a real red velvet thanks for the recipe
This cake is tasty and moist... but it doesn't taste like red velvet at all. I didn't use food coloring since the batter was bright red, but when it baked up, it turned brown (like chocolate). I...
I absolutely loved this cake. Will make it again soon. I hate using too much food coloring. It is a very delicious and healthier alternative.
The beets give it a very deep red coloring. This is a very moist and not to sweet tasting cake. I like it best without the icing. I made the sheet cake but would like to try a Bundt and sprinkle...