Savory Bacon Scones
Ingredients1 h 57 m servings 170
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon grease into a small glass container and chill until set, at least 1 hour. Cut bacon strips into 1/4-inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder in a large bowl. Measure out 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chilled bacon grease into the bowl. Knead grease into the flour mixture with one hand, turning bowl with the other, until dough is crumbly.
- Make a well in the center of the dough and slowly pour in 10 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons milk. Mix with one hand until milk is incorporated and dough feels wet to the touch. Form dough into a thick disc. Cut into 16 equal-sized pieces with a knife.
- Roll dough into individual balls and place them on the baking sheet. Flatten them into circles about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place a tablespoon of bacon slices in the center of 8 circles. Top with remaining circles of dough. Seal so that the top circle meets the bottom using your fingertips.
- Whisk egg yolk with maple syrup in a bowl; brush over sides and top of each scone. Let scones rest, about 15 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Place a clean towel on a plate, transfer scones to the towel and fold towel over to keep warm.
- Cook's Note:
- Once cooled, you can store the scones in a resealable plastic bag for a couple of days either in the refrigerator or at room temperature. They can be reheated in the microwave for about 45 seconds to a minute.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 170 calories; 5.3 22.7 7.2 38 467 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Pretty darned tasty. I had bacon grease saved in the refrigerator, so that worked out well. The scones were very tender, in fact almost too much so because they sort of crumbled when eating th...
Very good and easy enough for my 11yr old daughter to prepare. We will definitely fix again!