Savory Lemon Dill Parmesan Scones
"This is a savory, but not super-rich, scone recipe. I like the fact that I was able to whip these up with ingredients that I always have around the house. These are a nice addition to breakfast/brunch/lunch, as a side with dinner (poultry or fish would be a good companion), or for a snack. They're pretty good for entertaining if you want to make more than one batch at a time."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 263
Original recipe yields 8 servings (8 scones)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice into soy milk in a small bowl to make mock buttermilk. Let sit until curdled, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, sugar, baking powder, dill, and salt together in a large bowl using a fork. Mix in butter with a pastry blender until dough starts to clump together.
- Whisk mock buttermilk, remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and egg together in a bowl. Pour over dough and mix gently with a fork just until incorporated.
- Dust work surface lightly with flour. Turn out dough and pat into an 8-inch disc. Fold in half and gently flatten back out into a disc. Repeat folding and flattening the dough 3 more times, to build fluffy layers in the dough.
- Transfer disc of dough to the baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Cut into 8 wedges and pull wedges apart so they are not touching.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove scones from oven. Combine Parmesan cheese and black pepper together in a small bowl; sprinkle on top of the scones.
- Return to the oven and bake until golden brown and edges look dry, about 10 minutes more.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- Feel free to sprinkle more dill on top of the scones before the second bake.
- I'm confident that the spices and type of cheese could be altered for different tastes. Herbs de Provence instead of dill and grated Gruyere cheese instead of Parmesan, for example, would probably be awesome!
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 263 calories; 14.1 28.1 6.5 79 437 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1