Caramelized Pork Belly (Thit Kho)
Ingredients1 h 43 m servings 410
- Slice pork belly into 1-inch pieces layered with skin, fat, and meat.
- Heat sugar in a large wok or pot over medium heat until it melts and caramelizes into a light brown syrup, about 5 minutes. Add pork and increase heat to high. Cook and stir to render some of the pork fat, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir shallots and garlic into the wok. Add fish sauce and black pepper; stir to evenly coat pork. Pour in coconut water and bring to a boil. Add eggs, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until pork is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove wok from the heat and let stand, about 10 minutes. Skim the fat from the surface of the dish.
- Cook's Note:
- Check occasionally while the pork is simmering that the liquid doesn't evaporate too much. Add water a little at a time if sauce seems to be drying out.
Per Serving: 410 calories; 26.3 15.6 26.7 267 1832 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
It was a little too sweet for my liking, ended up adding water to bring down the sweetness. I also added two star anise to give it some additional flavor (just like my mom made). Overall, good r...
This recipe is great. Be careful not to overcook the eggs and also understand that 'shallots' is not a unit of measurement. The shallots I bought from the store were much bigger than average, a ...
This was very good, but you do have to watch the sugar carefully or it will quickly go from cartelized to a hard, burnt lump. Yes, that was my mistake . . . second try was better, but my vietnam...
When i carmelized the sugar i had trouble because the recipe didnt say put anything with it. so i added some butter at it worked!