Ingredients51 m servings 434 cals
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in top of a double boiler over simmering water; stir well to prevent clumps. Gradually stir in 5 cups water. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to gravy consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in a bowl until light and foamy. Pour in 1 cup of sugar mixture gradually, whisking vigorously to avoid curdling eggs. Whisk egg mixture into remaining sugar mixture gradually; return to double boiler. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened to pudding consistency, 6 to 8 minutes. Whisk lemon juice and butter into pudding gradually. Cool in the refrigerator, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cook's Notes:
- Margarine can be substituted for the butter, if desired.
- Pudding will thicken more as it cools in the refrigerator.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 434 calories; 11 g fat; 82.2 g carbohydrates; 4.4 g protein; 144 mg cholesterol; 496 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
It came out very tasty, but it would not thicken using the double boiler. I cooked the sugar/corn starch/salt/water mixture in the double boiler for half an hour and it still wouldn't thicken! ...
has a nice lemon taste I added the zest of 3 lemons .I had the same problem not getting thick in a double boiler after 30 mins I cooked on the burner like most puddings. came out great just keep...
I added 2 teaspoons of lemon extract while whisking in the butter and lemon juice, which made it taste a lot better. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because I made it taste good, but I had to al...