Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 51 m servings 530
Original recipe yields 6 servings (6 5-ounce servings)
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; brown oxtail, about 3 minutes per side.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, carrots, leek, and garlic. Cook and stir until tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into Dutch oven with the oxtail. Add red wine, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves; stir to combine. Bring stew to a boil until alcohol from red wine evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add enough water to cover, bouillon cube, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until meat falls away from bone, about 4 hours. Remove oxtail from stewing liquid.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour to form a thick paste; cook and stir until flour turns light brown, about 15 minutes. Whisk in stewing liquid and bring to a boil; simmer until thickened to stew consistency, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour stew over the oxtail to serve.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- The flavor of the final dish depends greatly on the type and quality of the red wine used. A young red wine is recommended.
- Cornstarch can be added for additional thickening, if necessary.
Per Serving: 530 calories; 25 20.5 28.4 99 386 Full nutrition