"Pretty Much a Piece of Heaven" Black Forest Cake
Amanda Marie Pack
Ingredients2 h 1 m servings 504
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- Combine chocolate cake mix and instant pudding mix in a large bowl. Add eggs, water, and vegetable oil; mix well to combine. Mix in 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice until smooth. Stir in cherry pieces and chocolate chips. Divide cake batter between prepared pans, filling each halfway.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven until toothpicks inserted in the centers come out clean, 26 to 32 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, 10 minutes. Remove from pans and transfer to wire racks to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Beat heavy cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and cream of tartar. Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream evenly over the bottom cake layer. Cover whipped cream with a thin layer of pie filling. Place second layer of cake on top. Spread another 1/4 of the whipped cream over the second layer; cover with pie filling. Place third layer of cake on top. Spread remaining whipped cream on top; cover with remaining pie filling.
- Cook's Notes:
- Can be served the same day but is best if made the day before and put in the refrigerator overnight.
- If the cake seems unstable, steady it by putting a wooden dowel through the center top of the cake if you plan on moving the cake much.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 504 calories; 27.8 64.7 6.1 89 467 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This was really, really good. I made it for my daughter's 22nd birthday (per her request) and it didn't disappoint. I doubled the whipped topping "icing" - I actually think you could do even ...
This cake was great. I did make changes that my family loved. I doubled the icing like the other reviewers suggested and added some vanilla to the icing. I used a mix of sour cherries, sweet ...
I made this for my husbands birthday and our guests loved it. They all loved how moist the cake was and asked for additional slices to go. The only thing I did different was doubled the icing to...
I made it for a Christmas present for a neighbour. OMG it was fantastic, now everyone wants one. It was the first time I had made a layer cake. Of course I had to try a difficult one. It's impor...
Yep! Pretty much heaven. I made this for work. I needed it to travel well, so I did not put the cherry pie filling in or on it. I took the cherries separately and had people spoon it on to their...
I followed the recipe exactly, except I also doubled the whip cream to cover the cake plus I bought a 500ml container of whipping cream, so I used the whole thing. The cake was really good, a fe...