Easy Dressed-Up Black Forest Cake
Ingredients11 h 50 m servings 630
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Beat cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium and continue to beat, scraping bowl occasionally, until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pans, about 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and cool completely, about 1 hour. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Beat heavy cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally with a bread knife, to make 4 layers. Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream on top. Top with 1/3 of the cherry pie filling; spread evenly. Place second cake layer on top. Repeat layering whipped cream, cherry pie filling, and cake layers, ending with whipped cream on top.
- Grate chocolate bar or shave into curls with a peeler; scatter on top of whipped cream.
- Refrigerate cake until flavors combine, about 2 hours.
- Cook's Note:
- When serving adults, I sometimes sprinkle a little orange liqueur onto the cake before adding the cream.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making the cake are based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on box if using a different brand.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 630 calories; 40.2 61.9 7 154 499 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This is amazing, and even better the day after. I did add a bit of almond extract to the cherries, and next time will try Grand Marnier instead. Also, I made the whipped cream according to ano...
Very easy and turned out great. I did make a few changes. I bought one box of cake mix and made two round cake pans, but they were not tall enough to cut in half and make 4 layers so I made two....
Very beautiful, moist and yummy! Even with a cold mixing bowl, beaters and heavy cream, it took me closer to 10 minutes to whip the cream into stiff peaks. I folded 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 4...
followed the recipe to a T , was easy and delicious ,will make it again for sure