Ultimate Black Forest Cake
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 694 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 8-inch round layer cake )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two 8-inch round pans with parchment paper.
- Sift 1 1/2 cups of the white sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Beat shortening and remaining 1/2 cup white sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat 1 egg at a time into the shortening mixture; add vanilla extract with last egg. Add portions of flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition to form a smooth batter. Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Remove parchment from cake bottoms. Cut each layer in half horizontally, making 4 layers total. Pour 2 tablespoons cherry liqueur over each cake half.
- Beat cream in a chilled glass or metal bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Beat in 2 tablespoons cherry liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat in confectioners' sugar and salt until cream filling is smooth and stiff.
- Spread 1 cake layer with 1/4 of the cream filling; top with 1/3 cherries. Repeat with 2 additional layers. Place 4th layer on top; frost top and sides of cake with remaining cream filling.
- Cook's Notes:
- Cooking spray (such as Pam®) can be used in place of parchment paper, if desired.
- Cherry pie filling can be substituted for the canned cherries, if desired.
- Liquid from the canned cherries can be substituted for the cherry liqueur, if desired.
- Create more layers for the cake by slicing each round into thirds or even quarters for a fancier cake.
Per Serving: 694 calories; 27.3 g fat; 105 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 89 mg cholesterol; 631 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1