Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 21 m servings 468
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed until a light and fluffy batter forms, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 26 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Heat sugar, butter, and milk together in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips, and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool and thicken to icing consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Poke holes in top of cake. Pour chocolate icing over cake, allowing it to run down edges of cake.
- Cook's Notes:
- Critical to make sure the chocolate icing is cool enough to easily pour, but doesn't run off the cake too much. If done right, you should have a pretty thick icing that you do not have to spread.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for making the cake is based on Duncan Hines®. Follow instructions on box if using a different brand.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 468 calories; 22.4 64 5.9 68 378 Full nutrition