Red Devil's Food Cake with Lemon Frosting
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 31 m servings 233 cals
Original recipe yields 16 servings (1 9x13-inch cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Stir milk and vinegar together in a small bowl to make sour milk. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Beat white sugar and 5 tablespoons butter together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add 2 eggs; beat until smooth. Beat in portions of sour milk and flour mixture alternately until smooth batter forms.
- Melt chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir melted chocolate and vanilla extract into batter. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in the baking dish for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg yolk; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in lemon juice until smooth frosting forms. Frost cake with frosting when cake has completely cooled.
- Cook's Notes:
- For a layer cake, substitute two 9-inch layer pans for the 9x13-inch pan, if desired.
- Adjust the amount of lemon juice needed to create the right spreadable consistency.
- Editor's Note:
- This recipe contains raw egg. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly, and the infirm do not consume raw egg. Learn more about egg safety from our article, Making Your Eggs Safe.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 233 calories; 11.5 g fat; 31.8 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g protein; 61 mg cholesterol; 276 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1