Ingredients2 h 10 m servings 438
- Melt unsweetened chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching. Set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two 9-inch cake pans with waxed paper.
- Sift cake flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Whisk sugar, water, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and balsamic vinegar in a large bowl until well-combined. Stir in half of the sifted flour mixture. Fold in melted chocolate. Stir in remaining sifted flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until toothpicks inserted in the centers come out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pans, 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire rack and let cool completely before frosting, about 1 hour.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 438 calories; 19.7 65.6 4.7 0 312 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I would give it 5 stars but there are a couple issues with the recipe. It's not entirely vegan as chocolate is adulterated with milk and some types white sugar is processed with animal bone char...
I made this devils cake over the weekend. Not only is it quick and easy, it tastes amazing. I took it into work coz there are a few vegan eaters there and every person had a piece of cake and c...
Had to substitute unsweetened chocolate for vegan butter/cocoa mix because I had no chocolate in hand. Still, it was the best vegan