Vietnamese Pho Ga (Chicken)
made it | 0 reviews |
"Coming from a Vietnamese family, we have to find ways to cook traditional food on the fly and this is a recipe that my mom came up with years ago. Serve with your choice of garnishes - bean sprouts, Thai basil, chiles, etc. You can also make this kho - which is dry in Vietnamese - essentially putting the broth on the side and serving the noodles with the sauce recipe."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 46 m servings 373 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cover noodles with cold water; set aside to soak, about 30 minutes.
- Place chicken, ginger, star anise, and monosodium glutamate in a large pot. Sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Cook over medium heat until juices run clear, about 40 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove chicken from pot and cool until easily handled, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove skin and shred chicken meat.
- Drain noodles. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until noodles are tender yet firm to the bite, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and divide among serving bowls.
- Top noodles with shredded chicken and ladle in broth.
- Cook's Note:
- To serve this "kho" style, dice reserved chicken skin into small pieces. Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add chicken skin. Cook and stir until brown and crisp. Lower heat and drain most of the chicken fat from the skillet. Add 4 cloves minced garlic; cook and stir until softened. Stir in 1 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons white sugar. Bring to a boil. Dissolve 1 teaspoon cornstarch in 3 tablespoons water; add to skillet and boil until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Lower heat and simmer until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Serve sauce over cooked noodles and chicken, with broth on the side.
Per Serving: 373 calories; 11.4 g fat; 47 g carbohydrates; 17.7 g protein; 46 mg cholesterol; 761 mg sodium. Full nutrition