South African Traditional Vetkoek (Fried Bread)
"These tasty vetkoek (fat cakes) make for a lovely dinner or snack. You can make these vetkoek any size you prefer. They're a great party snack if they are made small and filled with various processed meats, tuna and mayo, syrup, curried minced meat, cheese, or basically anything you feel like. They're fast, easy, and very tasty."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 16 m servings 332
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 vetkoek)
- Mix lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to bubble slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Pour water mixture over flour mixture and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let dough rise until until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball; roll until smooth. Flatten ball of dough until it is the size of palm; set aside on a floured work surface. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry flattened pieces of dough in the hot oil, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- As you knead the dough, you may need to add more flour or water to get a dough the consistency of bread dough.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 332 calories; 6.2 60 7.8 0 391 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I LOVED this! I always like something sweet and\or savory, and this is the best thing to have! I will most definitely make it again!