South African Traditional Vetkoek (Fried Bread)
Ingredients1 h 16 m servings 332
- Mix lukewarm water, sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and begins to bubble slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Sift flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Pour water mixture over flour mixture and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Cover bowl with clean cloth and let dough rise until until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Pinch off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball; roll until smooth. Flatten ball of dough until it is the size of palm; set aside on a floured work surface. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fry flattened pieces of dough in the hot oil, 2 to 3 pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Cook's Note:
- As you knead the dough, you may need to add more flour or water to get a dough the consistency of bread dough.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 332 calories; 6.2 60 7.8 0 391 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
I LOVED this! I always like something sweet and\or savory, and this is the best thing to have! I will most definitely make it again!
Very simple to make. Prepared for a book club meeting about South Africa. It was a hit with the other members.
I loved making this, it was quick, easy and tasted great. I was used to my mom and grandma's vetkoek but these not only tasted wonderful, but it also looked fantastic.