Chef John's Tuscan Bean Soup
Ingredients45 m servings 432 cals
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add butter; allow butter to melt. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook and stir until onion begins to turn translucent and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 more minute. Add beans and broth. Season with salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Set heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Place bread cubes in a saute pan. Drizzle with olive oil; season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toast bread cubes over medium heat until golden brown and crunchy, tossing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese over the bread cubes and continue to brown cubes about 2 more minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until it is very smooth. Whisk in creme fraiche. Stir in lemon juice. Serve topped with browned bread cubes and chopped parsley.
- Cook's Notes:
- This recipe is also a fantastic base for creating even more substantial weeknight meals. Things like sausage, peppers, and/or maybe a handful of greens, always works in this.
- In the video, I pureed the veggies, but I think dicing them actually provides better flavor.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 432 calories; 23.1 g fat; 44.4 g carbohydrates; 12.7 g protein; 42 mg cholesterol; 1611 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This was SOOOO GOOD!! And I didn't even have the rosemary...didn't miss it! I found the creme fraiche at Publix, but it's easy to make your own. You just need to make it a day or two in advance....
I did not make any changes since I was making it for the first time and wanted to see how Chef John meant for the soup to come out. It was brilliant. The medley of tastes was wonderful. Next tim...
Delicious. Even good with out the cream if you need to avoid dairy. I used only 1/8 tsp. Ayenne pepper and it still had a pop without being too spicy
Have made this a number of times and it is so great. I don’t make any modifications to the recipe
I'm sort of a self-proclaimed soup aficionado and was anxious to try this recipe. I made it to recipe and decided that this soup is good, but not great; the croutons though were great! In fact ...