Orange-Flavored Springerle Cookies
If using baking powder instead of hartshorn, skip step 2. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder with the cake flour in step 3.
If using a springerle rolling pin, work on a surface lower than a kitchen counter top so as to not push the dough and stretch the impressions.
Recipe variations, representing regional European differences:
1. Orange-Chocolate: Omit 1 cup cake flour and add 1 cup cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel.
2. Anise Oil only: Omit orange extract and use only 1 teaspoon anise oil.
3. Anise Oil with Anise Seeds: Omit orange extract; use 1/2 teaspoon anise oil, and sprinkle crushed anise seeds on sprayed parchment-lined baking sheets before placing cookies on top.
4. Anise Extract and Anise Seed: Omit orange extract; use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon anise extract and crushed anise seeds to the dough. For a milder anise flavor, omit anise extract and sprinkle crushed anise seeds on sprayed parchment-lined baking sheets before placing cookies on top.
5. Anise Seed and Lemon: Omit orange extract; use 1 tablespoon anise extract plus 1 teaspoon lemon extract.
Reynolds® parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.