Monika's Oma's Lebkuchen Men
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h servings 160 cals
Original recipe yields 30 servings (30 gingerbread cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two baking sheets.
- Mix ground almonds, flour, white sugar, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Use your fingers or a pastry blender to rub in the butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add honey and egg; mix together to form a dough.
- Dust work surface with flour. Roll out dough into a circle about 1/8-inch thick. Cut into gingerbread men shapes with a floured cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until edges are brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan 1 to 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder in a bowl. Mix in enough boiling water to make a smooth and spreadable icing. Spread icing on cooled cookies using a table knife. Set aside until icing hardens, about 2 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute ground hazelnuts for the almonds if preferred.
- If you plan to hang the cookies, make a small hole at the top of their heads before baking.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 160 calories; 8.5 g fat; 19.4 g carbohydrates; 3.4 g protein; 13 mg cholesterol; 68 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1