Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 736 cals
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Cut backbone from chicken using kitchen shears and save backbone for another use. Flip chicken, breast-side up, and forcefully press chicken down to flatten; season generously with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-safe cast iron skillet over medium-high heat; pan-fry chicken, skin-side down, until golden, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, skin-side up.
- Cook and stir onion in oil in the same skillet until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add beer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Continue cooking until most of the beer is reduced, 2 to 4 minutes more. Stir chicken broth, carrots, lemon, rosemary, and thyme into beer mixture. Arrange chicken, skin-side up, over vegetables.
- Roast in the preheated oven until chicken is golden brown and crispy, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large platter and let rest, uncovered.
- Bring remaining broth and juices in the skillet to a boil and cook until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt.
- Slice chicken and serve with sauce.
Per Serving: 736 calories; 42.5 g fat; 13.6 g carbohydrates; 70.1 g protein; 275 mg cholesterol; 584 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
EAT THIS!! Please! Delicious Yummy Goodness. Followed the recipe as it was written with minor additions of herbs to suit our taste and a bottle a Sam Adams. WOW!! Gorgeous crispy skin. Juicy fla...
I made this recipe tonight for my family and followed the recipe exactly as written. My family loved the chicken and my daughter said that it was her second favorite ever. That's high praise...
My wife said that this recipe is definitely a keeper, and I have to agree. I didn't have a whole chicken but collected enough thighs and drumsticks from the freezer to approximate the volume of...
Really liked how this was made but the lemon was too much. Both my carrots and gravy had a pungent acidic flavour. I will make this again but tailor it to out tastes. The chicken came out per...
This turned out great! I would certainly make it again. My chicken was on the smaller side so 50 minutes was a bit much. The skin was super crispy and the carrots were still firm and full of fla...
I'm about to go on vacation, and was really scrambling for something to do with a whole chicken. This recipe is simple, quick, and made up of a lot of common household ingredients. It turned out...
Wonderful recipe that delivered tremendous flavor. First I did not have a fryer larger enough to handle the a spatchcocked chicken so I cut the chicken in half with help from some YouTube video...
The only thing I changed was using white wine instead of beer because of my girlfriend’s gluten allergy. She said, “make this again anytime!” It came out great. Browning on the skin side worked ...