Cranberry Sweet Potato Spice Cake
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 50 m servings 493 cals
Original recipe yields 16 servings (2 9-inch round cakes)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a separate large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat one egg at a time into the butter mixture; add molasses and vanilla extract with last egg. Add sweet potatoes, cranberries, and walnuts; mix until batter is thoroughly combined. Gradually beat flour mixture into batter until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute three 8-inch round baking pans or one 9x13-inch baking dish for the two 9-inch round baking pans, if desired.
- To cook sweet potatoes: peel and chop, place in 4-quarter stock pot, cover with water, and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring water to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 1 hour. Drain and mash well with potato masher or food processor while potatoes are still hot. Allow to cool completely for adding to batter.
- Do not use leftover sweetened sweet potatoes.
- Substitute raisins or crushed pineapple for the sweetened dried cranberries, if desired.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 493 calories; 23.6 g fat; 66.5 g carbohydrates; 5.9 g protein; 81 mg cholesterol; 467 mg sodium. Full nutrition