Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h servings 186
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Cook potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave until soft and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Use a fork or pastry blender to lightly smash potatoes.
- Heat the sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add cumin seeds and cook until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 1 minute. Add curry leaves and stir until fragrant; mix in onion, green chile peppers, and ginger paste. Cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in turmeric and curry powder.
- Pour onion mixture over smashed potatoes; mix thoroughly to combine.
- Mix chickpea flour, rice flour, red chile pepper, and asafoetida in a shallow bowl. Pour in just enough water to form a thick, pancake-like batter. Let it rest until batter has slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Roll the potato mixture into balls the size of golf balls. Dip each potato ball in the batter to coat. Fry 3 to 4 at a time in the hot oil until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook's Note:
- Prepare and measure all ingredients in advance and keep ready at hand. Besan, rice flour, ground red chili, and hing may be mixed together.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 186 calories; 10 21 4.5 0 13 Full nutrition