Qumbe (East African Coconut Candy)
Annie Douglass Lima
Ingredients45 m servings 280 cals
- Combine 2 cups grated coconut and coconut milk in a bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Place sugar in a saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in coconut mixture and almond flour until well combined; cool until easily handled.
- Roll coconut mixture into bite-size balls. Pour 1/4 cup grated coconut into a bowl and roll balls in coconut until coated. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- This tasty snack is gluten-free, but the almond meal could be switched out for flour (wheat, soy, whatever) if you can't eat nuts.
- Coconut cream can be used in place of the coconut milk, if desired.
- The mixture will be gooey, but it will probably still be easier to roll than you might expect. If it isn't, add more almond flour a little at a time till of rollable consistency.
Per Serving: 280 calories; 18.4 g fat; 28.8 g carbohydrates; 3.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 8 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
Pretty tasty and fairly easy to make. I might try toasting the coconut used for coating the outsides. Watch your temperature for step 2, it'll sneak up on you. Use wet hands to form the balls. T...