Ingredients2 h servings 224
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and ground black pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Place butternut squash pieces cut-side down in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Add about 1/2-inch water to the dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake chicken and squash in the preheated oven until butternut squash is tender and chicken breasts are no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the chicken should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Scoop cooked squash flesh into a large pot. Pour in chicken broth and mash together until smooth using an immersion blender or potato masher.
- Cube cooked chicken and add to the pot. Stir in onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, quinoa, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring soup to a gentle boil; reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is tender and flavors are well-blended, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts if desired.
- Substitute Italian seasoning for the oregano if desired.
Per Serving: 224 calories; 4.5 24.8 21.8 51 703 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I made this exactly as it is written. The end result is more like porridge. It's very thick the next day and is lacking a touch of salt. Overall, this isn't my favorite recipe using butternut sq...
Excellent! This soup has great flavor. Using leftover shredded chicken made this recipe really simple. I added some shredded zucchini for added color and texture.