Crispy Fried Tofu
Ingredients35 m servings 161
- Wrap tofu in a clean towel and place onto a plate. Set another plate on top, and place a 3- to 5-pound weight on top. Press tofu for about 20 minutes; drain and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch by 2-inch chunks. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt onto one slide; flip over and sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon on the other.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. To test if the oil is ready, dip a chopstick or wooden spoon in it; if bubbles rise, it is ready. If the oil smokes, it is too hot.
- Gently place 5 to 8 pieces of tofu at a time in hot oil using metal tongs. Be very careful as oil may splatter; use a splatter guard if possible. Fry tofu until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain tofu on a plate lined with several paper towels. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not use silken tofu for this recipe.
- If you want the tofu darker and crispier, you can deep fry them a second time.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 161 calories; 15 1.6 6.8 0 297 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This was an easy recipe. Thanks. The taste, however, was rather bland. Perhaps an overnight marinade would have enhanced the flavor. I love tofu and its versatility. I will try it again usin...
I marinated mine overnight in ginger,orange juice and soy sauce. Then dried the tofu and coated with corn starch before frying. Then dip in sweet and sour sauce.