Crispy Fried Tofu
Ingredients35 m servings 161
- Wrap tofu in a clean towel and place onto a plate. Set another plate on top, and place a 3- to 5-pound weight on top. Press tofu for about 20 minutes; drain and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch by 2-inch chunks. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt onto one slide; flip over and sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon on the other.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. To test if the oil is ready, dip a chopstick or wooden spoon in it; if bubbles rise, it is ready. If the oil smokes, it is too hot.
- Gently place 5 to 8 pieces of tofu at a time in hot oil using metal tongs. Be very careful as oil may splatter; use a splatter guard if possible. Fry tofu until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain tofu on a plate lined with several paper towels. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not use silken tofu for this recipe.
- If you want the tofu darker and crispier, you can deep fry them a second time.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 161 calories; 15 1.6 6.8 0 297 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This was an easy recipe. Thanks. The taste, however, was rather bland. Perhaps an overnight marinade would have enhanced the flavor. I love tofu and its versatility. I will try it again usin...
I marinated mine overnight in ginger,orange juice and soy sauce. Then dried the tofu and coated with corn starch before frying. Then dip in sweet and sour sauce.
Very easy to make. My only change would be to dry the tofu for longer. It's still going to have a lot of moisture after only 20 minutes. I usually go 40-60 minutes. The texture is great. Definit...
I fried garlic cloves in the oil, removed them bore burning, then added the tofu pieces. Excellent way to get protein into the littles!