Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 225 cals
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place chicken in hot oil, season with salt and ground black pepper and cook until well-browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside. Add scallions, ginger, garlic, and jalapeno pepper to the pot; cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Pour water and rice into pot; bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Cover the pot partially and cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Stir chicken into soup and cover partially. Continue to cook until the soup is creamy with a porridge-like consistency, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, pull meat from bones, and return meat to the pot. Stir in cabbage, snow peas, bean sprouts, soy sauce, and sesame oil; cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Garnish jook with cilantro.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute a Thai chile for the jalapeno if desired.
Per Serving: 225 calories; 10.4 g fat; 22.7 g carbohydrates; 10.4 g protein; 26 mg cholesterol; 280 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is such a comforting soup to have on a cold night. I needed more water than the recipe called for to get a soupy consistency, so I also upped the soy sauce at the end too. I agree with the ...
Excellent - like a really hearty chicken soup or stew. I used chicken stock instead of water (one liter plus two cups of water). Next time I'll use low salt or unsalted chicken stock. I didn't a...