Ingredients5 h 10 m servings 179 cals
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker; cook on Low until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 4 1/2 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Shred chicken in a large pot; add cumin, black pepper, adobo seasoning, and lime juice and mix well.
- Place tomatillos and serrano peppers in a clear microwave-safe bag. Seal bag and pierce a few times with a knife to vent. Microwave until soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put softened tomatillos, serrano peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, and salt in a blender and blend until salsa verde is smooth.
- Mix chicken stock and hominy with shredded chicken in the large pot. Add half of the salsa verde to the shredded chicken.
- Simmer over medium heat until flavors are well-mixed, about 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Salsa verde is a traditional green salsa recipe from the region of Monterrey, Mexico. I serve it with chips and use it as a sauce for tacos.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salsa verde. The actual amount of salsa verde consumed will vary. More can be added to the soup if desired.
Per Serving: 179 calories; 3.4 g fat; 12.4 g carbohydrates; 23.9 g protein; 59 mg cholesterol; 1230 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
Made as written and this was pretty good. There are two things I do want to address with this recipe. First is that I feel the chicken/hominy ratio is off. I suggest adding another can of hominy...
Really good! I did not add salt, reduced the number of sorranos to one just because I don't do well with heat and boiled the chicken instead of crockpotting it. The next time I make it....may tr...
I made this dish last night. My husband goes bananas for it, and I am surprised by how good it is. I added blue corn chips, non fat sour cream, and cubed avocados as garnish. Yum!
One of my favorite soups, I couldn't find any fresh tomatillas at the grocery store, so I substituted a jar of roasted Verde salsa, it just added more delicious flavor.