Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 127 cals
- Stir all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, instant yeast, and salt together in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Whisk water and oil together in a cup; pour into flour mixture. Mix on low speed until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead just until dough is smooth, about 1 minute. Divide and shape dough into 3 balls for small loaves or 2 balls for larger loaves. Dust loaves with flour and place onto a baking sheet; cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Slash an "X" about 1/4-inch deep in tops of loaves with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cook's Note:
- For extra depth, substitute 1/2 cup whole wheat for 1/2 cup quick oats. The number of servings is dependent upon the thickness of the slices. I recommend making 3 loaves the first time.
Per Serving: 127 calories; 1.6 g fat; 24.7 g carbohydrates; 4.1 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 148 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I ended up having to add more flour. It tasted a little bland, so I will be adding either honey or molasses next time.
Great texture and taste. It could be user error but I did have to add 1 1/4 cups more flour to make it come together and leave the sides of the pan, user error maybe? I made two changes, I added...
Loved it. It took an hour to rise, and I added honey, flaxseed, oats, and a bit more flour than suggested by the recipe because it does, indeed, get gooey otherwise, like other reviewers suggest...