Khao Soi Soup
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 726
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir chopped shallots and garlic until garlic starts to turn golden, 2 to 4 minutes. Add red curry paste and curry powder; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add coconut milk, water, chicken, and sea salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer soup.
- Mix fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice into soup and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; fry Thai chile peppers until browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer chile peppers to soup, reserving oil in skillet. Fry quartered shallots and bok choy in hot oil until browned, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to soup and reserve oil in skillet.
- Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside until noodles are softened, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Add 3/4 of the noodles to the soup. Fry the remaining rice noodles in the hot oil until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls and top with fried noodles, pickled cabbage, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Cook's Notes:
- This is a very forgiving recipe. Add as much or as little of the spices and chiles as suits your tastes.
- Add more vegetables if desired, or make this completely vegetarian by substituting the chicken with tofu or extra veggies.
- If using raw chicken legs, cook 45 minutes in step 1 until chicken is very tender.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 726 calories; 48.5 58.1 20.5 35 1074 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
My wife tells me it was the best soup I ever made her, I concur with her!
Delicious, very creamy and great flavor. Right back to Chang Mal with this one.
Lovely! Great layering of flavours. My family loved it. I used only three Thai chilis and I washed the seeds out of them. Thanks for putting this together!