Ingredients1 h 5 m servings 255
- Heat bacon grease on medium heat in large Dutch oven or stock pot. Stir onion and garlic together in pot, cooking until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Place ham hocks, collards, kale, 32 ounces Swanson(R) Unsalted Chicken Broth, tomatoes, and Creole seasoning in pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until greens are tender, about 45 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and heat through.
- For a thinner soup, add a few more ounces of chicken broth. Adjust seasonings, if needed; add hot pepper sauce to taste.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can use olive oil in place of bacon drippings to saute the onions and garlic.
- Use any preferred greens--collards, kale, mustard greens, or a combination.
- Allstars are loyal Allrecipes community members, selected to be brand ambassadors based on onsite participation, interest, and commitment. Allstars may be compensated for their participation in the Allrecipes Allstar program.
Per Serving: 255 calories; 14.7 16.3 14.4 37 445 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
I have made this several times. I usually just use the kale and I like to use roasted tomatoes. I add black eyed peas that I cook from dried. The Cajun seasoning can be very salty so I halve ...
A coworker made this and I just couldn't get enough!!! Will be a favorite for a long time!
I really liked this recipe. I didn't have any black eyed peas. I ended up adding Eckrick smoked turkey sausage for the meat. This dish is quite good. I served corn break along with it.
Made it just like the recipe called for and I usually don't, but this was amazing southern style cooking! I take that back...I did a minor change...I used my homemade chicken bone broth. So good!
Sssooo good! My 10 month old even loved it! I used smoked turkey instead of ham hicks, and I added vinegar and a pinch of sugar. Amazing!
Turned out great ! We also made cornbread croutons to go with it as a side, yum! Thank you for the recipe !
I simmered the ham hocks before adding them to the soup because I was concerned about the salt since I didn't have unsalted chicken broth. Excellent recipe. Nice change for New Years. I usuall...