Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 572 cals
- Place bacon in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon pieces on paper towels. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pot.
- Melt butter in the pot with the remaining bacon grease over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Sautee until just softened, 5 or 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and stir until completely incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Gradually whisk in Swanson(R) Unsalted Chicken Broth, stirring to prevent flour from clumping. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and green chilies; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables begin to soften, about 12 minutes
- Stir in frozen corn and chopped chicken. Add 1/2 cup of cooked bacon pieces. Add half and half; stir. Reduce heat to low; simmer very slowly until chicken and corn are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Stir in 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese until cheese melts.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with reserved bacon, grated Cheddar cheese, cilantro, and green onions.
- Allstars are loyal Allrecipes community members, selected to be brand ambassadors based on onsite participation, interest, and commitment. Allstars may be compensated for their participation in the Allrecipes Allstar program.
Per Serving: 572 calories; 30.1 g fat; 41.4 g carbohydrates; 35.9 g protein; 119 mg cholesterol; 1186 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
my family loved this!! I made it without jalapeno because my son isn't a fan of too much heat and I went with condensed milk instead of half and half to make it a bit healthier and it was perfec...
This is my favorite soup as of now! I had chicken breasts in the fridge so chose to slice and sauce the chicken instead of going out to buy a rotisserie chicken, but otherwise made it exactly a...
This is a delicious soup! I scaled it down to 5 servings and used one large Yukon gold potato. I did not have regular bacon on hand to use, but I'm sure it would be even better doing that step....
I really thought I was going to love this soup. It has so many of the things I love, but in the end I found it unsatisfying. Like a promise unfulfilled I just found myself wanting something mo...
Amazing!!! What a fantastic flavor. My family said to add to our list of favorite recipes. Just enough kick thanks to the jalapeños but not overpowering. Made exactly as the recipe was written.
So good. My new favorite soup recipe. Used leftover pulled pork in place of chicken which worked very well.
AMAZING! It went so quick I didn't have time to take a picture. My husband said it was a wonderful change from the normal potato soup. I did have to make some adjustments because I didn't hav...
Fabulous, we love to cook. Tweaked a bit for us but not by much. Less bacon, used fresh corn from cob, added some kale, added some Cholula for our heat, spices were fabulous, will add more chick...