Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 572
- Place bacon in a Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and slightly crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon pieces on paper towels. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease from pot.
- Melt butter in the pot with the remaining bacon grease over medium heat. Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Sautee until just softened, 5 or 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Whisk in flour and stir until completely incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Gradually whisk in Swanson(R) Unsalted Chicken Broth, stirring to prevent flour from clumping. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and green chilies; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables begin to soften, about 12 minutes
- Stir in frozen corn and chopped chicken. Add 1/2 cup of cooked bacon pieces. Add half and half; stir. Reduce heat to low; simmer very slowly until chicken and corn are heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Stir in 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese until cheese melts.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with reserved bacon, grated Cheddar cheese, cilantro, and green onions.
- Allstars are loyal Allrecipes community members, selected to be brand ambassadors based on onsite participation, interest, and commitment. Allstars may be compensated for their participation in the Allrecipes Allstar program.
Per Serving: 572 calories; 30.1 41.4 35.9 119 1186 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
my family loved this!! I made it without jalapeno because my son isn't a fan of too much heat and I went with condensed milk instead of half and half to make it a bit healthier and it was perfec...
AMAZING! It went so quick I didn't have time to take a picture. My husband said it was a wonderful change from the normal potato soup. I did have to make some adjustments because I didn't hav...
This is my favorite soup as of now! I had chicken breasts in the fridge so chose to slice and sauce the chicken instead of going out to buy a rotisserie chicken, but otherwise made it exactly a...
I omitted the bacon, used only half the amount of cream, and used two shredded chicken breasts instead of the rotisserie and it was still amazing.
Excellent, hearty soup! Great Comfort food for a chilly winter evening! Even with a lot of minor ingredient changes to make it gluten-free and use things I had on hand, it was wonderful. My chan...
I did not use bacon fat to sauté my veggies. I added an extra jalapeño and used 2 green pepper instead of red. Used hot green chiles. Took longer than 12m to get my potatoes tender. I season...
One of the best soups I’ve ever made! Followed exactly but could not find canned chillies so I used canned jalapeños chopped. I topped it with cheese and crushed taco chips
Excellent. Didn’t use the suggested spices (except garlic) because I added a half can of rotel and that was spicy enough for us. Also added a can of cream of potato soup with the grated cheese.