Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 1482
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Watch Now
- Generously season short ribs with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat vegetable oil over high heat in a heavy pot. Brown short ribs on all sides until they are dark brown, about 6 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Add onions and continue cooking over high heat until onions go from golden to dark brown, about 8 minutes; this will make a richer, darker sauce. Stir flour into the onion mixture; cook for about 1 minute. Pour in broth; add bay leaf, beets, carrots, and celery. Bring pot to a simmer. Place browned short ribs in pot, evenly distributing them among the vegetables. Watch Now
- Bake in preheated oven until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Watch Now
- Bring sauce to a fast simmer over high heat until it is reduced by half and slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt, if needed. Watch Now
- Serve in bowls topped with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh chives. Watch Now
- Cook's Notes:
- I used 2 large beets totaling 1 pound, peeled and cut into eighths.
- Optional step: when you taste your finished sauce, if you want to add some acidity to balance the sweetness, adjust with a splash of white vinegar.
Per Serving: 1482 calories; 130.4 21.3 53.2 269 2938 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 13
Wow chef John does it again! This dish was amazing!!! My husband was sckeptical of the beets and the red mixture but he loved it as well. I served this over large egg noodles and omitted the s...
I found this recipe while looking for a slow-cooker idea for short ribs, and bought the ingredients without noticing it called for braising. Here's my crockpot version. Browned the meat in a dut...
This is amazing! The slight sweetness of the beets just compliments the beef. I used stewing beef and beef stock, and added a celery root. Of course the veggies was all out of my garden. Otherwi...
Good as a starting off point for a recipe. The seasoning wasn't borscht enough for me though. I ended up using 2 tbl of dill, 1 tsp of cumin, 2 tsp of caraway seeds, 3 cloves of garlic and 2 tsp...
Warm & comforting. We made this for Valentine's dinner & served with crusty buttered bread & a nice French red table wine! Leftovers froze very well & we will make again for game night with frie...
I was very pleased with the results of this recipe. I made this using my Hot Pot pressure cooker. I did not add the vegetables until the meat had cooked for 15 minutes and allowed to depressur...
I ended up making this with brisket because the butcher was out of short ribs. Doubled the time in the oven to get to "fork tender". It was fantastic! Will definitely try it again with short rib...