South African Bobotie
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 230 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef to onion and saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Soak bread in 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl, mash, and add to ground beef mixture; stir in 1/2 of beaten egg, raisins, vinegar, sugar, turmeric, salt, curry powder, and ground black pepper.
- Transfer beef mixture to glass baking dish; insert bay leaves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Whisk remaining 1/2 egg and remaining 1/4 cup milk together in a small bowl; pour over meat mixture and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with chutney.
- Cook's Notes:
- Mutton can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Lemon juice can be substituted for the vinegar.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 230 calories; 12.5 g fat; 14.5 g carbohydrates; 15.1 g protein; 75 mg cholesterol; 467 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I served this with yellow saffron spanish rice and chutney and it was amazing. I live with a south african and she says it was perfect!