Ingredients50 m servings 448
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Pat the steaks very dry with paper towels; season both sides with salt and pepper. Allow steaks to rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes while the oven pre-heats.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron pan over medium-high heat for about one minute. Add the oil to pan and swirl to evenly distribute the oil. Place the steaks in the pan, allowing room between steaks. Cook without moving steaks for 2 minutes. Using tongs, lift the steaks and flip them over. If properly seared the steaks should release easily, without sticking to the pan. Immediately place cast iron pan into the hot oven.
- Cook steaks until firm and reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 7 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Remove skillet from oven and transfer steaks to a warm plate lightly tented with foil. (The internal temperature of the steaks will increase by about 5 degrees while resting.)
- Melt unsalted butter in the same skillet over low heat; add diced shallots. Cook and stir, releasing the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, about 1 minute. Stir in the deli mustard.
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk in Swanson(R) Beef Stock and Worcestershire sauce, continuing to scrape up browned bits from the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Whisk in the cream; simmer until sauce clings to the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley, chives, thyme, and oregano.
- Spoon the herb sauce over steaks; serve immediately.
- Cook's Notes:
- Thoroughly drying the steaks and heating the oven for a full 30 minutes is essential for success of well-seared steaks.
- A cast iron pan is preferred but any heavy bottomed, oven-proof pan will work.
- Grape seed or peanut oil are preferred for high heat cooking.
- Allstars are loyal Allrecipes community members, selected to be brand ambassadors based on onsite participation, interest, and commitment. Allstars may be compensated for their participation in the Allrecipes Allstar program.
Per Serving: 448 calories; 37.6 5.8 22 100 717 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 25
Excellent way for preparing steak! I made New York steaks using this recipe and they were to die-for delicious! I subbed 2 Tablespoons whole Lactose-free milk with 1/2 teaspoon corn starch in pl...
This was outstanding! The flavor of the pan sauce was so nice and rich! I wanted to drink it like a bowl of soup! I used club steaks instead of the tenderloin because it was on sale. This was ve...
I was a nervous nelly, having little previous luck with top stove or oven roasted beef tenderloins. With this recipe and the use of a large iron skillet and an iron dutch oven, my six expensive ...
These might be the best steaks I've ever made. Might have to give up on my grill and do my steaks this way all the time. The cream sauce is really good as well, but I may pass on that sometime...
My family has renamed this "Filet Mignon with Awesome Sauce" . Very impressive recipe that even a novice can pull off. I was brave enough to try for Christmas dinner, and even my Dad, who procla...
Perfect method and just the right amount of flavor in the sauce to not take away from the natural flavors of the tenderloin. It was fabulous! We served it with sauteed mushrooms and garlic and l...
The whole dish turned out perfect. I made this for my girlfriend's birthday!!! She was wowed!!!