Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 566 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Bring water, vegetable broth, and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Spread quinoa onto a baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- Combine quinoa, avocados, tomatoes, kale, cucumbers, scallions, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt together in a bowl until well mixed.
- Cook's Notes:
- The juice of 2 limes can replace the lemon juice, if desired.
- For the quinoa, make sure to rinse it thoroughly (I personally rinse 4 times with agitation). This will get rid of the bitterness that you can get if it is not rinsed well enough.
- For the ideal flavor and texture of the kale, it is best to avoid veins, and to gently massage after dicing.
- I have added some creole spice mixture ( 1 to 2 tablespoons) with success to spice it up a little more.
- The jalapeno adds a little heat, but since the seeds are excluded, it is suitable for those with sensitive palettes.
Per Serving: 566 calories; 33.2 g fat; 63.5 g carbohydrates; 14.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 1045 mg sodium. Full nutrition